Extend conversion goal tracking beyond sign-ups and button clicks- with Optimonk’s Conversion Goals.
Conversion Goals provides greater flexibility for measuring campaign performance based on specific metrics and helps you define your desired conversion event that’s in line with your business goals. Whether you’d like to track purchases, page views, subscriptions, or any other vital interaction, Conversion Goals takes your conversion tracking to new horizons.
In this article you’ll learn about
- Why use Conversion Goals?
- How to set it up?
- Additional Conversion Goals for Shopify/Shoprenter users
- How to view, edit & manage Conversion Goals
Why use Conversion Goals?
By selecting the right goal for you campaign, you'll be able to measure campaign success more accurately, optimize campaigns using more precise data, and ultimately improve your website's overall performance.
Conversion Goals allow you to measure campaign performance based on specific metrics such as
- sales above a certain cart value,
- products added to cart (in case of Shopify),
- traffic guided to a specific page,
- displaying of another OptiMonk campaign,
- closing of another OptiMonk campaign,
- or number of views of a specific page.
Here’s how you can set it up:
1. First, log in to your OptiMonk account at https://app.optimonk.com/login/en
2. Select Campaigns on the left, then select the campaign of which goal you’d like to change.
Or if you’ve just created a new campaign, you will need to navigate to the Campaign details page.
3. You will be able to select the goal of your campaign under the A/B Test Center panel on the right.
4. To set a new goal, click on this Campaign goal reached dropdown.
What is Campaign goal reached?
Campaign goal reached is the default setting for popup Conversion Goals. In the Editor, in case of each popup or campaign button, you have the option to set it as a conversion once it is clicked. When the toggle in Editor is marked as checked, each time the button is clicked (in this example, each time a new subscribers submits their email), it will be recorded as a conversion event.
5. To create a new goal, click on Create new goal.
Now, a window will appear, prompting you to provide other essential details.
6. Here, give your goal a descriptive name that reflects its purpose. For example, if you'd like to track how many people have seen your landing page about your T-shirts, you could label it as "T-shirt Landing Page Views.”
7. Next, select the website domain where this goal will apply.
8. Lastly, choose the specific type of action you want to track for this goal. OptiMonk offers a range of event types, allowing you to tailor your tracking to match your specific conversion actions:
- Page view
- Campaign conversion
- Campaign impression
- Campaign closed
a) Page view
If your goal is to track the number of views of a specific page or the traffic guided to a specific page, choose the Page view option for your custom goal.
Choose the criteria (equals, contains, doesn’t equal etc.) that follows the domain.
Then, specify the URL. For instance, here we’ll target all URLs that contain the word “tshirt”.
b) Campaign goals
In case your campaign goal is tied to another campaign, for instance, you’d like to see how many times users have closed (Campaign closed), seen (Campaign impressions) or converted in (Campaign conversion) in a given campaign, choose any of these event types. In this example, we’ve used Campaign closed as an event type for a Product recommendation campaign which will specify how many users have closed this selected campaign.
For each option, you need to select the campaign you would like to track.
9. After having created a custom goal, you just need to click on the Save button.
10. Once you've saved your custom goal, you can now track your campaign’s performance based on your new goal. Simply navigate to the dropdown menu and select the goal that aligns with your campaign.
❗It’s important to note that the saved goals in OptiMonk are not limited to being used in specific campaigns. You can use them in as many campaigns as you’d like.
❗Each goal is strongly tied to a specific domain, meaning that you can use each goal for campaigns on the same domain only.
And that’s it! This is how you can set up a custom goal. 🙂
Additional Conversion Goals for Shopify/ Shoprenter users
If you run a Shopify/Shoprenter store, there are two ecommerce-specific built-in goals for you: Add to cart and Purchase. These goals are ready to use and require no additional set up.
However, you can create custom goals based on these basic events. To do that, choose these goals under the Create a new conversion goal panel as well.
a) Add to cart
If your goal is to measure the Add to cart events, you can create a goal based on
- the price of products added to cart,
- the quantity of products added to cart or
- the total cart value.
To specify your goal even further, create custom conditions for these parameters. For instance, if you only consider at least 2 products added to cart as a conversion, select Quantity of added product and select the condition to greater than or equal to 2.
If your goal is to measure the number of purchases on your website, you can track
- the sales value or
- the total number of products sold.
For a more specific goal measurement, create custom conditions for these parameters. For example, if you only want to keep track of sales for 20 or more products, choose Total number of products and select the condition to greater than or equal to 20.
How to view, edit & manage Conversion Goals
If you would like to run multiple campaigns of different types, you’re likely to have several different conversion goals.
1. To review and manage them in one page, go to your profile then Setting on the left.
2. Look for the Conversion Goals page under the Account panel and click on it.
3. This centralized hub provides a comprehensive list of your goals, complete with associated domains, and creation dates.
You can easily add new conversion goals from this page, as well.
Or you can easily edit, duplicate or delete a custom goal by clicking on the three dots on the right by any goal.
Or you can also edit the custom goal by clicking on the name of the goal.
❗The Shopify/Shoprenter users can also see here the Built-in Conversion Goals, right above the Custom conversion goals.
✉️ If you need any further help or have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we would be happy to assist you :)