This article will walk you through how to integrate MailChimp with your OptiMonk campaigns. Once you were able to complete the steps outlined in this guide, you will have the possibility to have subscribers added to your MailChimp mailing list when they fill out an OptiMonk popup form. This may come in handy if you run e-mail marketing campaigns on a regular basis so that the subscribers who signed up via OptiMonk will also get notifications about your upcoming promotions and news.
To set up the integration between OptiMonk and MailChimp, please follow these steps:
1. First, please log in to your OptiMonk account at https://app.optimonk.com/login/en
2. Select Campaigns on the left menu, then select the Campaign you wish to set up with MailChimp:
3. Click on Edit settings on the right-hand side:
4. Click on Add new integration under Where would you like to send the subscribers and campaign data?:
5. Select MailChimp from the list of available integrations:
6. You will see the following window:
7. You will need to get the API key from your MailChimp account. To do so, please log in to your MailChimp account in a new browser window, and click on your icon in the bottom left corner. Select the Account menu to continue:
8. Select API keys under Extras:
9. If you do not have any API keys yet, you will need to create a new one. Scroll down and select Create A Key:
10. You will need to copy and paste the API key to the respective field in your OptiMonk account:
Give a name to the integration, then click Next to continue.
11. In this step, you will be able to select the list (called Audience in MailChimp) from your MailChimp account, where you want to send the data of the new subscribers:
You also have the option to enable Double Opt-in on this screen:
- What is Double Optin? If you enable this option, when a visitor subscribes, they will receive an automated email, where they will need to confirm manually, that they wish to subscribe. Until they confirm this, they will not be receiving emails from you. Of course, in case you do not turn this option on, they will automatically be added to your MailChimp list, once they subscribed. Example of this automated email:
Click Next once you have selected a list from the drop-down menu.
12. On the last screen, you will have the option to associate the input fields of your Campaign with the fields of your MailChimp form:
- What are Groups? This is an optional setting. You can choose which groups will be associated with the subscriber. You can find a quick MailChimp article about this here: http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/growth/combine-lists-to-a-master-list-that-uses-groups#Create-Groups-in-Your-Master-List
- Input Field Bindings: For every input field in your OptiMonk campaign, you can assign a field in your MailChimp list. MailChimp automatically creates a few of these fields (Email Address, Address, First Name, Last Name, Phone Number) once you create your list (Audience), however, in case you need further ones, you can add them to your MailChimp account. How?
1. Click on Audience in the menu bar on the left, then select Signup forms:
2. Select Form builder on the next page:
Here, you can add all kinds of fields to your signup form. These fields will be the ones you can assign your input fields to from your OptiMonk campaign:
12. Let’s go back to your OptiMonk Integration settings once you are done with the signup form and select a MailChimp Field for each of your OptiMonk Input Fields. You can set up a MailChimp field for even the name of your campaign (Campaign name row) and for the URL where the campaign appeared (URL of appearance row)
It is very important to compare the details asked on the OptiMonk campaign with the data asked on the MailChimp list because if they are not the same, the details will not go through to MailChimp
Send additional data: You can create static fields as well. This means, that you will need to add a specific (static) value in the Custom values column and select a MailChimp field, to which you will want to assign this. Once this is done, this value will be sent to that MailChimp field always someone subscribes. For example, you can enter here "OptiMonk", so then you will always know that these subscribers are coming from your OptiMonk campaign. Campaign name and the URL of the campaign filling can also be forwarded to MailChimp:
13. Once you were able to select a MailChimp field for each of your OptiMonk fields, you just need to click on Done and the Next in the top right corner:
That's it! Now, anytime a visitor signs up on your OptiMonk popup, they will be automatically added to the MailChimp list you've selected.
You can see your subscribers now in MailChimp by clicking on the Audience menu at the top, then selecting All contacts:
Here, you will see all your subscribers' data in the below table:
The leads will show up on the Audience page of your OptiMonk account:
OptiMonk will automatically Sync the data of the new subscribers from your selected Campaign to your MailChimp account.
If you need any further help or have any questions, just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to assist :)