This article will walk you through integrating MailChimp with your OptiMonk campaigns. Once you were able to complete the steps outlined in this guide, you will have the possibility to have subscribers added to your MailChimp mailing list when they fill out an OptiMonk popup form. This may come in handy if you run marketing campaigns on a regular basis so that the subscribers who signed up via OptiMonk will also get notifications about your upcoming promotions and news.
To integrate MailChimp, please follow these steps below:
1. Log into your MailChimp account
2. Click on the Account name on the top right corner (in our example: Tutorial OptiMonk) and select Account
3. If you haven’t created your own API key yet, then click on the Extras tab and select API keys
4. In the Your API keys section, click on the button Create A Key. This will generate one for you
5. Now, copy your key from the field, found in the API Key column
6. After that, paste the key in the proper field, found on the admin page of OptiMonk. You can find this in OptiMonk if you follow these few easy steps below:
- Click on the campaign in question
- Scroll down and click on the Edit button in the Settings Summary section
- Scroll down and click on the Add new integration button in the Integration section
- Select MailChimp from the list
- Give a name to your integration and paste the API key generated from your MailChimp account here in the API key field
7. You will now need to select a list (called Audience in MailChimp) to which you will add the subscribers. If there is no list to select from, you will need to create one. How to create a new list (audience) in MailChimp?
- Click on Audience in your MailChimp account
- Click on the Create Audience button (if you already have other lists, and would like to create a new one, first click on the Manage Audience menu and select View audiences. Then you will see the Create Audience button)
- Again, click on Create Audience and then fill out the form, then click on Save
8. You will now be able to select this Audience as a list in your OptiMonk account
9. Once you selected your list, a new section of this Integration settings will appear
- What is Double Optin? If you enable this option, when a visitor subscribes, they will receive an automated email, where they will need to confirm manually, that they wish to subscribe. Until they confirm this, they will not be receiving emails from you. Of course, in case you do not turn this option on, they will automatically be added to your MailChimp list, once they subscribed. Example of this automated email:
- What are Groups? This is an optional setting. You can choose which groups will be associated with the subscriber. You can find a quick MailChimp article about this here: http://kb.mailchimp.com/lists/growth/combine-lists-to-a-master-list-that-uses-groups#Create-Groups-in-Your-Master-List
10. Input Field Bindings: For every input field in your OptiMonk campaign, you can assign a field in your MailChimp list. MailChimp automatically creates a few of these fields (Email Address, Address, First Name, Last Name, Phone Number) once you create your list (Audience), however, in case you need further ones, you can add them in your MailChimp account. How?
- Click on the Signup forms button in your MailChimp account
- Select Form builder
- Here, you can add all kinds of fields into your signup form. These fields will be the ones you can assign your input fields to from your OptiMonk campaign
- Let’s go back to your OptiMonk Integration settings once you are done with the signup form and select a MailChimp Field for each of your OptiMonk Input Fields. You can set up a MailChimp field for even the name of your campaign (Campaign name row) and for the URL where the campaign appeared on (URL of appearance row)
11. It is very important to compare the details asked on the OptiMonk campaign with the data asked on the MailChimp list because if they are not the same, the details will not go through to MailChimp
12. Static Fields: You can create static fields as well. This means, that you will need to add a specific (static) value in the Field values column and select a MailChimp field, to which you will want to assign this. Once this is done, this value will be sent to that MailChimp field always someone subscribes. For example, you can enter here "OptiMonk", so then you will always know that these subscribers are coming from your OptiMonk campaign
13. Once you were able to select a MailChimp field for each of your OptiMonk fields, you just need to click on Done. That's it! Now, anytime a visitor signs up on your OptiMonk popup, they will be automatically added to the MailChimp list you've selected.
14. You can see your subscribers now in MailChimp by clicking on the View Contacts button once you are in the Audience menu
- Here, you will see all your subscribers' data in the below table