Zapier is a great way to get different web apps to work together. You can easily use Webhooks by Zapier to handle the subscriber information OptiMonk gathers for you. You can transfer first names, surnames, e-mail addresses and URLs to Zapier using their built-in Webhooks application.
When Webhooks by Zapier is set as the trigger application, it can then be associated with any other application available in the Zapier system. To connect Zapier and OptiMonk you’ll need to create a Trigger application that triggers an Action application whenever data from OptiMonk is transmitted to Zapier.
First we’ll cover how to setup your OptiMonk account, and then, we’ll look at how to retrieve the URL you need from your Zapier account.
1. Log in to your OptiMonk admin dashboard on OptiMonk.com, and choose the campaign you would like to use with Zapier. Click the Settings button the right.
2. This will take you to your Campaign Settings page for that campaign. Scroll down to find the section Where would you like to keep the list of subscribers?
3. By default, your subscribers are stored in the Internal Database of your OptiMonk account. To let Zapier handle your data, click on the Choose Another button.
4. Confirm the current campaign is listed for Internal Database, then select Webhook from the drop-down list of External systems.
5. This will reveal the URL field where you will enter the URL generated by Zapier. If you already have this URL, type or copy it into the field, click OK, then scroll up and click Save to save the settings to the campaign. If you don't have the URL yet, please continue the tutorial to learn how to retrieve the URL from Zapier. Leave the OptiMonk window open because you will need to enter the URL after you retrieve it.
To generate the Webhook URL at Zapier, please follow these steps:
1. Keep your OptiMonk dashboard open and open a new tab or window for your web browser and and go to zapier.com and login to your Zapier account.
Please note: For the purposes of this tutorial we will cover the basic steps of Setting up Triggers and making a Zap to work with OptiMonk. For more information about triggers, actions and Zaps, please refer to Zapier's documentation.
2. To send data from your OptiMonk campaigns to Zapier, you need to create a Zap. On your Zapier dashboard, click the Make a New Zap button.
3. The first step to setting up a trigger is Choose App. In the Choose a Trigger App section, search for Webhooks by Zapier , and select the application.
4. Now, you’ll need to select a trigger action in Choose Trigger. Select Catch Hook and click on the Save + Continue button.
5. The next step shows Pick off a Child Key, we have nothing to do here, simply click on the Continue button.
6. Zapier will now generate a Webhook URL for you to test. To test the Webhook, please return to your OptiMonk dashboard and create a new campaign or select a campaign where you want to use Zapier. On the Campaign Settings page for that campaign in your OptiMonk dashboard, please select Webhook Integration in Integrations section and insert the URL generated by Zapier.
Please note: You must fill in the form on a popup from the campaign you configured to use the Webhook in the first set of steps above. To do so, keep Zapier open in your browser, open a new tab and visit the webpage that runs your OptiMonk campaign. When the popup appears based on the conditions you have set (refer to your settings if you can’t trigger the popup), fill it with sample data, and click on submit.
Additional note: Zapier will only receive the fields that are present in your current popup. So, for example, if you disabled last name, it will not appear in Zapier as a usable field. We recommend setting up a popup variant where all the available fields are enabled, and use that to configure Zapier. Even if you don't want to use some of the fields yet, they will be available for use later and you won’t have to to reconfigure your Zap.
7. Once you’ve confirmed the Trigger is working correctly, then you’ll Choose an Action when data is received from OptiMonk. In the Choose an Action App field, you can choose any application available in Zapier's system, and have that application perform some action with the data from OptiMonk. For the sake of this tutorial, let's assume you’ll send a simple email. The easiest way to do this is to select the Email by Zapier application.
8. Now, you’ll choose the Action to be performed. Select the Send Outbound Email action and click the Save + Continue button.
9. You can configure your email using the fields of data you gather from OptiMonk. An example configuration would look like this:
In the last step Zapier offers a way to test your newly configured Zap. Follow the instructions, and check your inbox in the email account you configured in the To field. If you see the email, you’re all set! Every time a visitor fills in your OptiMonk popup, you’ll receive an email like the one you configured.
Problem: Zapier can't find my sample data
There can be a number of reasons why Zapier doesn't receive the sample data:
- Your OptiMonk popup hasn't been submitted yet after you saved the settings for your OptiMonk campaign with the URL for the Webhook.
- The Webhook is not configured correctly on your OptiMonk dashboard. There’s no URL or the wrong URL is set.
- You didn't save the campaign after entering the Webhook URL in the OptiMonk dashboard.
Solutions: Check OptiMonk settings are saved and the Webhook URL is correct
- Check to confirm you see the same URL in Zapier as you see in your OptiMonk Campaign Settings.
- Confirm again that this is the campaign you used to fill the popup on your webpage.
- The last part of the URL contains your personal code for this Webhook, make sure this is included.
After entering the configuration and URL in the URL field in OptiMonk, click OK, then scroll up to the top of the page and Save the campaign. If this was the reason Zapier couldn't see your sample data, you will have to fill out your popup once more. You may have to clear your cookies for that page to display the popup again. Please note, you’ll have to sign into Zapier and OptiMonk after clearing your cookies.