Zapier is a great way to get different web apps to work together. You can easily use Webhooks by Zapier to handle the subscriber information OptiMonk gathers for you. You can transfer first names, surnames, email addresses, and URLs to Zapier using their built-in Webhooks application. As a result, there will be no barrier for you to get the subscribers' data from OptiMonk.
To connect Zapier and OptiMonk, you'll need to create a Trigger application that triggers an Action application whenever data from OptiMonk is transmitted to Zapier.
First, we'll cover how to set up your OptiMonk account, and then we'll look at how to retrieve the URL you need from your Zapier account.
1. Log in to your OptiMonk admin dashboard on OptiMonk.com, and choose the campaign you would like to use with Zapier. Click the Edit settings button the right.
2. This will take you to your Campaign Settings page for that campaign. Scroll down to find Add Integration
3. Click on Add new integration, and select Webhook from the list:
4. This will reveal the URL field where you will enter the URL generated by Zapier. If you already have this URL, type or copy it into the field, click OK, then scroll up and click Save to save the settings to the campaign. If you don't have the URL yet, please continue the tutorial to learn how to retrieve the URL from Zapier. Leave the OptiMonk window open because you will need to enter the URL after you retrieve it.
To generate the Webhook URL at Zapier, please follow these steps:
1. Keep your OptiMonk dashboard open and open a new tab or window for your web browser and go to zapier.com and login to your Zapier account.
Please note: For the purposes of this tutorial, we will cover the necessary steps of Setting up Triggers and making a Zap work with OptiMonk. For more information about triggers, actions, and Zaps, please refer to Zapier's documentation.
2. To send data from your OptiMonk campaigns to Zapier, you need to create a Zap. On your Zapier dashboard, click the Make a Zap button:
3. The first step to setting up a trigger is Choose App. Search for Webhooks by Zapier, and select the application.
4. Now, you'll need to select a trigger action. Select Catch Hook and click on the Continue button.
5. Zapier will now generate a Webhook URL for you to test. To test the Webhook, please return to your OptiMonk dashboard and insert the URL generated by Zapier:
Once this is done, you can click Done and Next in the top right corner in your OptiMonk account and click Continue in your Zapier account to finish the setup.
Please note: You must fill in the form on a popup from the campaign you configured to use the Webhook in the first set of steps above. To do so, keep Zapier open in your browser, open a new tab, and visit the webpage that runs your OptiMonk campaign. When the popup appears based on the conditions you have set (refer to your settings if you can't trigger the popup), fill it with sample data, and click on submit.
Additional note: Zapier will only receive the fields that are present in your current popup. So, for example, if you disabled the last name, it will not appear in Zapier as a usable field. We recommend setting up a popup variant where all the available fields are enabled and use that to configure Zapier. Even if you don't want to use some of the fields yet, they will be available for use later, and you won't have to reconfigure your Zap.
7. Once you've confirmed the Trigger is working correctly, we can choose another Zapier application where we want to forward the data received from your OptiMonk Campaign. In the Choose an App field, you can select any application available in Zapier's system, and have that application perform some action with the data from OptiMonk. For the sake of this tutorial, let's assume you'll send a simple email. The easiest way to do this is to select the Email by Zapier application.
8. Now, you'll choose the Action to be performed. Select the Send Outbound Email action and click the Continue button.
9. You can configure your email using the fields of data you gather from OptiMonk. An example configuration would look like this:
Once you have set up the email template, click Continue.
In the last step, Zapier offers a way to test your newly configured Zap. Follow the instructions, and check your inbox in the email account you configured in the To field. If you see the email, you're all set! Every time a visitor fills in your OptiMonk popup, you'll receive an email like the one you configured.
Once you are done, click Done Editing, then Turn on your Zap:
Problem: Zapier can't find my sample data
There can be several reasons why Zapier doesn't receive the sample data:
- Your OptiMonk popup hasn't been submitted yet after you saved the settings for your OptiMonk campaign with the URL for the Webhook.
- The Webhook is not configured correctly on your OptiMonk dashboard. There's no URL, or the wrong URL is set.
- You didn't save the campaign after entering the Webhook URL in the OptiMonk dashboard.
Solutions: Check OptiMonk settings are saved, and the Webhook URL is correct.
- Check to confirm you see the same URL in Zapier, as you see in your OptiMonk Campaign Settings.
- Confirm again that this is the campaign you used to fill the popup on your webpage.
- The last part of the URL contains your personal code for this Webhook, make sure this is included.
After entering the configuration and URL in the URL field in OptiMonk, click Done, then scroll up to the top of the page and Next in the top right corner to finalize the changes. If this were the reason Zapier couldn't see your sample data, you would have to fill out your popup once more. You may have to clear your cookies for that page to display the popup again. Please note, you'll have to sign in to Zapier and OptiMonk after clearing your cookies.