Main categories - what are they and when should I use them?
1.) Popups: They are made to use to convert your visitors into customers or subscribers. You can apply normal popups to get subscribers, make visitors be buyers, or redirect them to another page. They usually appear in the middle of the page on PC and mobile as well, depending on the settings. If the popup appears, the visitors can not scroll or continue the browsing, so they can decide if they want to subscribe, live with the opportunity of a special offer, or skip it.
3.) Sidemessage: That is a widget. Sidemessages will appear on the side of the page, it depends on you which position is the best for you. It stays on one of the sides of the page, so it will not block the browsing experience.
Some tips: You can use the sidemessage as a second targeting chance. For example, if they left something in the basket without buying it, the sidebar can remind them about the purchase.
- Popups for subscription:
Sidney, Vegas, Boston, Monaco, Roma, Dublin, Helsinki, Oxford, Venice, Cannes, Orlando, Atlanta, Basel, Valencia. You should use them if you want to collect subscribers via email. It helps you to increase greatly the number of subscribers and you can offer some kind of discount, gift, or a free case study for the subscription. Most of these popups include two or more pages. You can set at least one-second window as a thank you window but you can add more pages as well.
- Cannes is a special video popup, so you can insert a YouTube video inside your popup. It is good to use for example if you wish to offer a new product for those who are going to subscribe to your newsletters by checking the video about the product. You can also offer some kind of incentive for these visitors, like a 20% discount for the first 50 subscribers for this new product.
- Dublin is another interesting template. Whenever you provide two valuable options to your visitors instead of providing a simple YES or NO you are able to increase your conversion rate. This is because you are providing a choice to your visitors and they are choosing from two positive things instead of one positive and one negative. A typical example is when you communicate 10 $ off on button one (e.g. on the yes button) and a free e-book on button two (on the no button) - in this case, your visitor is not simply deciding whether they are interested in a certain offer or not, but they are picking one of the two, and no matter which one they choose they’ll receive value from you.
- Vegas template includes gamification, so that is a unique template too. This template is good to prompt your visitors to purchase something to be able to use the code they get after the subscription. Visitors can spin the wheel, hoping to get a special offer from you if they subscribe. They will receive a discount code on the thank you page, that they will be able to use for the next purchase.
- Popups for surveys:
It is good to use them because you will get feedback about your own site so that you can use it as social proof if the feedback is positive. With this option, you can target your existing customers, new visitors, or those who have already subscribed to the newsletters. In this case, it is also advisable to offer something to motivate the subscribers such as a 10% discount or a free brochure.
- Popups for a special offer and traffic redirection :
You can use them to give a special offer to the visitor before they would leave the page for example. Whenever you provide two valuable offers to your visitors instead of providing a simple YES or NO, you are able to increase your conversion rate. Also, buttons are the connecting dots between your website and the popup. You can decide on the action you want to happen when your visitors click on a button. You can redirect them to a specific page on your website, another page of your popup if your popup is built up of multiple pages or simply just close the popup.
- Social popups:
With OptiMonk you can first get your visitors ready for instant purchase, newsletter subscription, or traffic redirection. It has also been complemented with social media elements so you can increase the number of your followers and subscribers on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google, increasing the chance of reputation.
- New York templates: These are templates that already contain the Messenger element. Using Messenger integration opens a secondary sales channel for you. The Messenger opening rates are much higher, around 85%, while the rate of opening newsletters is roughly 12%. We can target better the younger generation and Facebook users with this kind of communication.
- Popups for cart abandonment:
You can target visitors based on cart value, the total number of products in their cart, and the number of different products in their cart. Using this information you can create more engaging messages that are personalized to meet your abandoning visitors’ needs.
2.) Sticky bars
A sticky bar is a sticky notification bar that stays at the top, or even the bottom of your site, and is a constant reminder for your visitors to take action.
- Opt-in bar:
Sticky bars can be used to gather new subscribers and can be targeted to remind repeat visitors of a special offer they received previously.
- GDPR bar:
- Social bar:
In today’s competitive marketplace, a sticky bar can give a huge boost to your conversions and put your site a step ahead. That is why it is good to use the Social bar. You can stimulate your visitors to follow you on different social sites as well, making your website more popular.
- Rate-me bar:
This option is good to collect NPS feedback from the visitors asking how likely they recommend the service. It is very important to make the customers feel that their feedback is valuable regardless if it is negative or positive. As they take their time to share their thoughts with us, we also need to make sure to react to them and ensure them that their feedback means a lot. The clients can rate the service from 1-10 levels. Depending on which number they choose, we can segment them into 3 groups:
- Promoters: Those who select a number between 9-10. This is the highest rating possible and means that the client is fully satisfied with the service
- Passives: Those who select a number between 7-8. These customers consider the service as okay, and use it constantly, but are not fully delighted with it
- Detractors: Those we rate the service lower than 7. The clients are not or only partly satisfied with the service and they will more likely cancel the subscription one day.
To calculate your NPS first you should check the average of your Industry so that you'll be able to compare your results with the average.
- You can use them to collect subscribers. It can happen by email or messenger. This can be a second chance to convince the visitor and to take a step and be a subscriber. This can be useful as well when you do not want a popup to appear on exit-intent and you do not want to disturb the visitors during browsing your website. So this option can be a perfect solution for blog pages.
You can use it also as a second chance to get followers on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, or Google. It is good because it will not block the browsing experience and it.
4.) Social element
With the Drag&Drop editor, you can have the chance to pull a social element into your popup. There are two types: messenger subscription and share/follow option.
- Messenger subscription: Messenger integration is a secondary sales channel. In addition, it is good because today everyone has a Facebook account and a smartphone. If it vibrates, people will see the message that came to them. As a result, messenger opening rates are much higher, around 85%, while the rate of opening newsletters is roughly 12%. We can target better the younger generation with this kind of communication.
- Social share and follow: “Spread the word!” - You can collect Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and Instagram subscribers or shares, making your website more and more popular. Social media users can be your next potential customers.
If you would like to learn more about our teaser, please check out its dedicated article.
6.) How can I make sure that my popup is GDPR Compliant?
- First, you should add a checkbox element to your popup:
7.) Button actions
By selecting Redirect, it allows you to add a URL and whenever someone clicks on the button, they will be redirected to that page.
- This redirect option is good because you can make a connection for example between your products. You are selling a dress and when someone puts it in the cart, the popup can appear with an accessory, which looks very good with the dress. They click on the button and the button will redirect them to the accessory page.
- You can select what happens after someone clicks on the button - if you choose close, by clicking on it the popup will be closed. You can choose to redirect if you want the button to redirect the visitors to a particular page. Also, you can decide if by clicking on the button, we should jump to the next page or to any other particular page of your campaign.
- You can report it as a conversion, rejected or none. It is going to be shown within the internal database of Optimonk.
When the visitors click on “Close” that means that the button will have the functionality of closing, the popup will disappear for them.
- - This option is good to use when you offered a free book and someone clicked on “Yes, thank you”. On the second page (thank you page) they will see a close button which they can use instead of the “X” exit button.
- - If you click on the button in the popup, on the left side the settings will appear.
- - You can select what should happen when someone clicks on the button. In this case, you should select “Close”.
- Jump to:
This option is useful whenever you want to provide two valuable options to your visitors instead of providing a simple YES or NO. By this method, you can increase your conversion rate as well.
- When a visitor clicks on one of the valuable offers, the button will redirect them to that particular page of your popup where they are able to see your offer.
- Next page:
This option is the most common option. When someone clicks on the button, it will jump to the next page. In the case of a 2-step campaign, it is usually called a Thank you page.
It is good to use this option when you have a 2,3,4… step popups, like a questionnaire popup or a special offer in case of a subscription.
- If you click on the button, on the left side the settings will appear.
- Next, to On Click, you should choose Next Page.
- It is good to report it as a conversion, since in the case of a subscription that is going to be a real conversion.
If you need any further help or have any questions, just let us know at email@example.com, and we would be happy to help :)