What is an AdBlocker and why should I use AdBlocker segmentation?
AdBlocker is a browser plugin that allows disabling unwanted ads from being fired on your website. However, normally it does not affect the campaign display of OptiMonk, so that the campaigns display even if a visitor is actively using AdBlocker. It is also worth mentioning that AdBlocker can unintentionally break some websites, for example, some elements will be missing on the website.
Note: this statement is not true if you install OptiMonk via Google Tag Manager. The campaigns will not be displayed once AdBlocker is active in that case. The reason for it is that AdBlocker blocks the performance of GTM and because of this of OptiMonk as well.
Segmenting your visitors based on AdBlocker is very useful if you know that AdBlocker is negatively affecting you or the experience of your visitors. If you rely on ad revenue, you can use the AdBlock based segmentation to kindly ask your visitors using AdBlock to turn it off. Another example if you know that AdBlock is blocking some elements of your website, you can display a warning about this to your visitors.
How to use AdBlock segmentation?
You can set up a rule for AdBlock segmentation for your Campaigns if you want to target AdBlock users with a specific message. This way, you can let the ad blocker users know that it’s worth switching off the AdBlock for a better user experience. (As a result, all of your contents will be available for AdBlock users, too.)
- In order to set up AdBlock segmentation, please log in to your OptiMonk account at https://app.optimonk.com/login/en and select Campaigns on the left. Select the Campaign you wish to use for the AdBlock segmentation:
- Click on Edit settings on the right to add a new rule based on AdBlock detection:
- Select Add new condition under Select who should see the popup:
- Select AdBlock detection from the list:
- Once you have selected your preferred setting, click on Save then Next in the top right corner in order to finalize the changes:
That's it! :) If you need any further help or have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to help! :)