When does the popup appear?
On mobile devices, Exit Intent is triggered when the following actions are applied:
- When someone changes the focus while switching between tabs, or
- When someone scrolls quickly to the top of the page
- When someone uses the Back button of their browser
- When someone uses the Back button on the mobile device
Note: The back button will only trigger exit-intent popups when visitors intend to go back from their entry page, after interacting with the site
What does it mean?
Let’s say a visitor lands on your website's homepage (this will be your entry page). The visitor starts scrolling, but promptly hits the back button because they don't want to explore the offerings at that moment (that's when they trigger an exit-intent).
So pressing the back button will only trigger the Exit Intent on the most appropriate page, the entry page, and visitor interaction is necessary to activate it. All other actions, like changing focus and scrolling up, will work on every subpage.
How do I set it up?
1) First, log in to your OptiMonk account at https://app.optimonk.com/login/en
2) Select the Campaigns menu on the left, then select the Campaign you wish to use:
When the summary of the campaign appears, scroll down until you see "Settings summary". Check what you see under Settings summary, as a lot of our Campaign Templates use this rule by default. If you see On exit-intent, the rule is already set up. You can check which device platform the rule applies to (mobile, desktop, or both):
3) If you do not see "On exit-intent" under the Settings summary, you can add this rule easily, just click on Edit settings:
4) Click on the "Add more triggers" button, so you will see the detailed "When to show" options:
5) Click on the "Plus" sign next to "On exit-intent" to add this rule to the Campaign:
Now, all you need to do is to choose on which devices you would like to use the exit-intent popups. Your popup will only show on mobile devices when you choose either the "Mobile" or the "PC or mobile" options. After selecting the device type, click on the Save button:
To finalize your settings please click on the "Next" button in the top right corner.
If you have any further questions or need any help, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to assist you :)